All landing cards for international passengers will be scrapped from Monday, the Home Office has announced.
International passengers will also be able to enter the UK through e-gates, which are currently only available to people from inside the EU.
Border Force director general Paul Lincoln, in a letter to staff, said the change would “help meet the challenge of growing passenger numbers”.
But unions warned it risked weakening immigration controls.
Immigration Service Union general secretary, Lucy Moreton, accused the Home Office of “ignoring” warnings from experienced staff as to the longer-term impact of getting rid of landing cards.
She said that the union had been assured that scrapping them would not happen until new technology was in place to record international arrivals.
“Although in most cases landing cards are retained for purely statistical reasons they do contain the only record of what was said to an officer on arrival,” she said.
Landing cards currently have to be filled in by people from all countries outside the EU.
The Home Office had agreed to scrap them for seven countries from June, but has now decided to go further.
In his letter, Mr Lincoln said he recognised concerns about the scheme.
But he added: “These changes will enable frontline officers to focus their skills and time on border security issues and on cohorts who present the greatest risk of immigration abuse.”